Meet Jes Baker- a fiery body advocate, fat model, mental health professional, self-love enthusiast, professional rabble-rouser, crazy cat lady, Tedx speaker, soon to be frreal book author, feminist and total pain in the ass.
She's super friendly (even though the above picture says otherwise), swears a lot, and thinks it's really weird to talk about herself in third person.
ABOUT THE MILITANT BAKER
The Militant Baker garners well over a kajillion (okay, more like over half a million) views every month and has been covered hundreds of times by the biggest media platforms including BBC, CNN, Today Show, ABC, Huffington Post, Yahoo, People, Cosmo (weird, right?), Time Magazine, Upworthy, Buzzfeed, New York Magazine, and other outlets that both surprised her and made her really happy.
The Militant Baker covers a mixture of subjects ranging from the delightful to the very very uncomfortable. These topics include but are not limited to: notes on the hazardous journey of body acceptance, how to take boudoir photos, rape culture, reasons why you should get a kitten, equality, the complicated relationship we all have with body hair, feminism rants, why you don't have to be everyone's best friend, and general empowerment.
Mostly, Jes just wants The Militant Baker to be a place in the blogosphere that offers fresh and colorful perspective on what is presented as normal to those immersed in our gender bent, body loathing society. The internet, for better or worse, is an open forum and the only media that doesn't have a universal one sided skew. While you have to sift through a lot of shit on the internet, you can also find gems. She hopes this is a gem for you.
POPULAR POSTS: Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls... SO I WILL • The Truth Behind Borderline Personality Disorder • Why We've Learned to Hate Ourselves • 6 Things That I Understand About the Fat Acceptance Movement • To the Guy Who Made a Fat Joke About Me to My Boyfriend • Exercise Classes and Fat Girl Freak Outs • How To Get a Sexy Swimsuit Body in Less Than 5 Minutes! •The Un-breachable Subject of Sex • Why I'm Fat • I Was the Easy Fat Chick • Dear Jes, Why You So Superficial?• Wanna Look Like a Cover Model? •
ABOUT JES BAKER
Jes Baker, when not blogging, spends her time working on the Body Love Conference, speaking at universities, taking pictures in her underwear, writing books, working with clothing companies to promote more plus size fashion, and trying to convince her cats that they like to wear sweaters and bow ties.
- The Body Love Conference is a first of it's kind event that brings together some of the largest names in body advocacy for a weekend of radical workshops and conversations around the subject of body love and what it means for each participant. There will be a regional conference held June 6th in Tucson and a national/international conference in the summer of 2016.
- Jes is best known for her visual campaigns, both that she modeled for and also those that she directed. Some of these famous images include: To Mike Jeffries c/o Abercrombie & Fitch, Lustworthy: A Statement for the Visible Woman, Bodies Aren't Ugly, Bullying Is, The Smash the Scale Revolution, Body Love Spans Generations, #LoveTheMirror, and most recently her letter to Lane Bryant/#EmpowerALLBodies.
- Jes's book "Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls" will be published by Seal Press on October 27, 2015. More information will be shared as it is available.
- Jes has worked intimately with several companies to promote positive body image and plus size clothing. Companies include ModCloth, Hips and Curves, eShakti, SWAK Designs, Lola Getts and many others. If you'd like to collaborate with Jes you can email her at email@example.com.
- As far as her cats go, Jes has had very little luck convincing them to dress like Sherlock Holmes but remains hopeful that copious amounts of treats dispensed carefully will change their mind someday.
Find Jes here:
(You can click here for info on advertising, affiliate links, and other biz shiz.)