This year's conference is looking to be quite amazing, and y'know what? I can't take credit for a damn thing.
While I've been holed up in my room typing my life away (I hear they call it writing a book), a group of dedicated (and slightly masochistic) local leaders have created an amazing event happening on June 6th. They get every high-five and thank you this year; not I. So if you see them make sure to hug 'em hard. You can high-five me for the book though when it comes out on October 27th. That, I will accept.
Why regional? Since realizing that we needed a HELL of a lot more time to put a larger national/headliner conference together adequately, this group of kick-ass people stepped up to produce a regional (read: much smaller with most speakers from surrounding areas) Body Love Conference and ever since I've jumped in to help tie up the lose ends a few weeks to go, I've been getting increasingly pumped.
Here's what you need to know:
- It's Saturday June 6th, 2015. Tucson, Az.
- Yes, it will be really hot here. No, it will not kill you.
- It's at the Pima Community College Center of the Arts (You know it as Pima West Campus)
- This is a no-frills, one day event. Everything has been kept simple and accessible.
- Tickets are $25 for adults, and are free for teens. (Tickets here)
- Speaking of: TEENS (aged 12+) ARE INVITED and even have their own specialized track. (Free tickets here)
- There will be free daycare if needed!
- This year is FAR more inclusive than last. We're making progress.
- Lunch is an additional $10 if you're interested
- The Best Western is our "host hotel" (best karaoke in Tucson- ask anyone)
- There will be a pool party the night before (Fri) and everyone is invited (Tickets here.)
- There will be a performance Revue the night of (Sat) and everyone is also invited.(Tickets here)
- A few of the many topics covered: How to change the world by loving your body, teaching children body positivity, yoga for all bodies, partnering with teens for a revolution, breast cancer survival (panel), body positivity with a Star Wars twist (yes, this), self-esteem through spoken word, #BlackLivesMatter, Burlesque, post-birth bodies, intergenerational femininity, Southern Arizona Gender Alliance (panel), bullying and suicide prevention, and belly dancing!
- I'll be SPEAKING. YAY.
- Complete website is here
- Tucson is rad, make sure to eat a bunch of burritos if you're an out-of-towner, and
SEE YOU THERE!
All other questions can be sent here!