I'm on the Internet a lot.
- Please don't post the link on your pages saying OMG LOOK AT THIS HORRIBLE THING — this can cause an emotional nosedive for a friend or follower who isn't expecting that level of hate and/or doesn't know how to cope with this indirect attack.
- Please don't post it on my page, or on the page of another person that you assume might share your outrage. I know this shit exists and it doesn't need assistance to find me. It does piss me off (you're on point!) but it also doesn't serve me and will most likely trigger followers who aren't expecting something awful on a body positive page.
- Please don't post the links indiscriminately in public. Just, y’know . . . in general. Think twice before giving these sites a platform for others to find them. These sites aren't special, novel, or creative, and after one dies down, there will be another . . . so don't offer any of them 15 minutes of fame! In the years of watching online body politics, I have rarely experienced good that comes from blasting negative web pages into public forums.
- PLEASE DO find the perfect person or persons to discuss this with. Have a Trigger Buddy. This may sound silly, but if you have a person that you've previously discussed these issues with and you know you're on the same page . . . they are the perfect sounding board. Find this person in your life and keep 'em close.
- PLEASE DO use online support systems. While your personal profile or page may not be the best place to share horrifying examples of humanity, there are online support systems that ARE. Rolls Not Trolls is a great example: It's a Facebook group created by Ragen Chastain that was made for the exact purpose of combating weight hate online. This would be the PERFECT place to share your activism and personal feelings and have a discussion about it (you can message her to participate). Those who have joined this group have consented to talking about these tough subjects. There are other similar pages, find them and use them!
- PLEASE DO follow up with the next two suggestions.